Thursday, March 29, 2007

Cayman '07 Post 6




Exhaustion...sun-wearied (and a little burned)...missin' the ones we love...yep, it's pretty obvious the vacation is almost over, as the signs are becoming obvious. Our stingray excursion was indeed cancelled today, and we found out the catamaran will resume visits out there tomorrow at 9 a.m., at which time we'll already be on our way to catch our flight back to America. Oh well, spirits are still very high all around, these aforementioned challenges notwithstanding. I've asked my boys at least a dozen times today I guess if they were still having a good time, and if they're glad they came, to which they both answered in the affirmative with much enthusiasm each time. We headed to Rum Point again, this time taking advantage of the beautiful sunshine to spend some time on the beach up there. We worked on sandcastles, ate lunch, chilled in a hammock and even scouted a couple hundred feet out into the sea (by far our furthest such adventure of the week). The drive back (about 30 minutes) was another good time of sea-side, wrong side of the road driving with the windows down and the tunes' volume up. We've heard a lot of Justin Timberlake down here, and my yahoo's are picking up quite a liking for him. His latest single (though I haven't heard it on the states radios yet) is Summer Love, a song I immediately started to dig when I got the Future Sex/ Love Sounds album a few months back, has been on frequent rotation here. I predicted to a couple of friends when I first heard it that it would be a big hit, probably hitting number 1 about summertime. Well, here's my chance to see if everyone else likes it as much as me. I noticed it's not in the Top 40 yet, but I see that two others from the album are this week, My Love (22) & What Goes Around (2). While I'm on the subject I might as well give a plug: go buy this album, it's awesome.

After getting back we chilled a while and then went down to the pool area and wound up playing shuffleboard (which is right next to the easternmost pool) for an hour or so. We then ventured down the beach to the neighboring resort so the boys could try to find their friends from Illinois, Tim & Tom, who played b-ball with us the other night, but to no avail. We then took a quick drive for soft drinks and snacks to the local gas station, and looked around at some of the side streets a bit. We noticed that although there is plenty of opulence and grandeur along the coast line with the resorts and mansions, there is also plenty of the squalid variety of living quarters as well. I doubt there's much of a middle class here...ya either got it or ya don't, it seems! On the way back, as we we're pulling into the resort's parking lot the radio began playing Daughtry's Home, and I was thus afforded a golden opportunity to show my boys how music can run parallel to life so closely sometimes. I think they'll think of our little conversation everytime they hear that terrific song from here out. By the way, it really is a great song, even when you're not watching Idol.

To wrap up the night we went back out to the beach, lounged back on the beach chair's and looked at the stars. We quickly found the big dipper and the North Star, and then my boys dazzled me with the story of love lost but not forgotten concerning Orion. I was quite impressed as they showed my Orion's Belt and told me all the details they knew...it was enchanting. After an hour and half or so out there we came back in and started packing for the travel day we have tomorrow.

So, as I wind down for the last night of sleep in paradise, I'm wrapping up my thoughts with the proverbial "bittersweet" emotions. I'm sad it's all gone so fast; I'm terribly gloomy over the fact that I'll not be able to spend time with my boys like this for some time; on the flip side, though, I'm very thankful for the opportunity that I've had, and I think I've got my batteries recharged and am ready to hit the ground running when I get back home; also, I'm thrilled at the thought of seeing the ones I love again and getting back in the groove with all my friends and family and know that I'll have a blast telling them all about our trip. I know one thing is for sure: I have no regrets for the place we chose to spend Spring Break this year, and I'm determined to work as hard as possible to ensure it's not a one-time experience. To keep my spirit's up upon arriving back home I'll make sure I spend a lot of time at Cheeseburger In Paradise and not a few hours watching the Pirates of the Caribbean series, both experiences with a lot of Cayman memories...

No comments: