Monday, April 02, 2007

Cayman '07 Post 7


Yeah, it was hard to sleep Thursday night, knowing that it would be my last in paradise for a while. The windows were open, the constant and stiff ocean breeze filled the rooms with a pleasant ambiance, and should’ve been just the tonic for a perfect rest. Alas, my mind would have none of it, and was actively recalling every sandy step on the beach, every salty splash of the sea, every tingle of sunshine, and every smile and nod from my fellow countrymen and the locals throughout this past week. Driving away from the resort was done with a palpable content, realizing I’ve been afforded a most enjoyable excursion that isn’t enjoyed by everyone, and for that I’m very appreciative. One last trip along the coastal highway and my level of satisfaction rose to euphoric levels…once again, windows down, music up.
Check-in at the airport after dropping off the rental car was mostly smooth, if not just a smidgeon too long and involved. I was a bit miffed about having to pull out my passport 3 times for review prior to getting back to my terminal waiting area, but hey, that’s one of the prices of freedom and protection from terror, I presume. Or, perhaps more likely, it adds to my sense of security, whether I’m actually any more safe with all of these procedures is anyone’s guess.
My first golden moment of the day was when my youngest son blurted out “Big Black Dick” loudly in the food court area of the George Town airport. I glanced over, and sure enough, he was right. Right out in the open is a 7 foot statue (pic above) of some pirate named Big Black Dick, and there’s a variety of rums that bear his name. I’d forgotten about him…my God, stop already!
A little later my 2nd “oh yeah!” moment happened, in the duty-free liquor store called “Bodden Freeport”. I walked in, and the attendant was an oriental chick. What got me was what was playing on her radio: Eric Church’s song Guys Like Me! He’s one of my fav modern country artists, and that song specifically I like to think I identify with (minus the “best blue jeans have Skoal rings” part-I’m not that tough, it seems…) I came out to my waiting spot and pulled out my DJ and plugged in the album Sinner Like Me, my first listen of this one all week long. I swiftly determined it’s a perfect soundtrack for my pre-flight home to the good ol’ Midwest of the the U.S.A. Yip, you can take the boy outta the country, but you can’t take the country outta the boy! (Man, was that cliché or what?...)
Oh, my…after going through all of the international travel procedures, we finally made it back to American soil not a moment too soon. A brief encounter with the drug-sniffing beagle (relax, by encounter I don’t mean getting caught) at Tampa caused us much amusement. I guess I expected all security dogs were supposed to look menacing, but alas, there is a job for the apparently harmless ones, too. The airport there is much roomier and modernized, with loads and loads of things to do to occupy the tedium of a layover. I had just pulled out my computer and said to myself something about there needing to be free wi-fi in places like that when, true story, I heard the tinny voice over the intercom say it was offered. I quickly jumped online and goofed off a bit…and listened to some more Eric Church.
The last leg of out return trip was fine, except the plane leaked, the furnace was stuck in the off position, and there were no free peanuts. But we made it home safely, and the trip was enjoyed by all...(Note: the pic above is from Rum Point, one of our fav haunts on our journey.)

No comments: