Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Cayman '07 Post 5

We saw a shirt earlier in the week that said something like: "The pirate alphabet begins with Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr". Well, today was pirate-y from start to finish, and I think my yahoo's loved it. The day started with "Pirates of the Caribbean" day at the Kids Club at the resort. The boys joined the expedition today from 8 till noon and spent their time searching for treasure and making pirate crafts and such. I used the time alone to do my favorite oceanic activity...walking the beach jammin' to some tunes on my DJ. An interesting thought crossed through my noodle while strolling along the edge of the sea. I wonder if everyone else is like me when they have headphones on, and feel like they are in a music video. As I pass people sometimes I think I look at them like they can hear the music that's in my head. They probably think I'm nuts, and sometimes I think I agree. Anyway, I chose Kenny Chesney's "Be Here (Songs From An Old Blue Chair)" to get me started. Call me crazy, but I've waited the entire trip to plug this in and listen to it straight through when I was by myself. It's quite the introspective album, and I just knew I'd like to be able to let it soak in while I was focused. A chick from Minnesota I talked to 1 or 5 times this week called it "thinking your own thoughts" when she was giving her goodbye today before she flew back with her fam to the frozen north. I couldn't agree more, and that's exactly what I do when I'm out on the sand: I narrow it all down to and have a meeting with my own mind, and try to get things settled. Few people know it, but it was on the beach in Ft. Myers, FL, all alone a few years ago when I first made the decision to make some huge changes in my life...and I don't regret the counsel I got from the crashing waves. I don't believe I made any earth-shattering decisions today, but I did enjoy the time to chill a bit. I moved on from the KC album and it's focus on introspection and found myself listening to one of the greatest "couple" albums of all time, Darren Hayes' "Spin". Sweet and lover-focused, I've listened to it at least 4 times since I've been on holiday, and it affects me every time. He's a terrific singer, but it's the lyrics and subject matter that carry this album beyond just an entertaining listen. It's def a fav of mine...

Moving on, we left after the Kids Club outing and headed to Geore Town to pay a visit to the Jolly Roger, a pirate themed ship on which we rode out a ways into the Caribbean and enjoyed pirate antics. The pic above is of us trying to get on our sea legs and keep from falling overboard into Davy Jones' locker. Since I'm writing this, we evidently made it...or did we? Sorry, that was weird. The whole adventure was fun, and the boys fo' sho' enjoyed being able to jumb off the side of the ship into the warm sea water.

After returning to land we were powerful hungry, so us scurvy dogs piled into a corner booth at the Hard Rock Cafe, Cayman Islands. We enjoyed the fare and atmosphere, then headed back on the coastal highway trip to the resort. After a short stint at the hot tub, it soon became time for us to get our weary bones back to the room and prep for the nightly crash. Our day tomorrow was supposed to be our exciting trip to Stingray City, but the wind has made for some extremely rough seas this week, and on the radio we heard of an "incident" with a stingray and a profusion of jellyfish in the water, so, um, yeah...that trip has been cancelled. Not by me, but by the coastal authorities, so I guess we'll have to try that again next time. So, I guess we'll just have to spend our last day on the beach. Arrgggghhhhh;)

No comments: