Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Robert Burns, Poet Extraordinaire

I remember where I was when I first began reading the works of Robert Burns, Scotland's great bard. I was in Paducah, Kentucky, and I had just sat down in the waiting room of a truck repair shop, getting my trusty ride a little alignment help when I opened up a collection of songs and poems by Bobby and was quickly entranced. Today I found a nifty site that appears to be quite thorough concerning all things Burns, aptly called Burns Country. If you're interested you can see the wikipedia entry here.

One of my favorite poems of his has to be John Barleycorn: A Ballad.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading Burns in a mechanic's shop in Paducah, KY. What a bizarre life you have there.

jwfrog said...

It was quite bizarre for a while, and I think reading Burns & others is the only thing that kept me sane. If I'd have followed the trend of "who needs books, we got the Spir't" I'd have gone insane. I do still keep a book with me everywhere I go, and frequently read a sentence or two at stop lights and in drive-thru's. Is that bad?

Anonymous said...

Well, you shouldn't read and drive (though I admit I've done it). You need to get into audiobooks. Simply the best way to keep reading while enduring the hassle of driving.

jwfrog said...

I've always struggled with audio books. Remember Frank Peretti and his novels? I liked those, so perhaps I'd like HP on audio. I like some motivational speakers on audio, such as Steven Covey, but I just can't really get into any of it enough to justify replacing tunes with it. I just gotta jam, you know!

Anonymous said...

Jim Dale is the narrator of the American editions of the HP series and he is simply the best narrator I've ever heard. The only problem is that he will probably spoil you - no other audiobook will be quite as good after hearing him.

jwfrog said...

Thanks for the plug about Jimmy boy...I'll lend him an ear. Are his renditions at the library, or must I borrow them from someone? Does he speak in a British accent, as that seems a necessity. Peace!

Anonymous said...

They should be available at the library. I have the cassette tape editions at home, but you're probably wanting the CDs, right? Otherwise, you could borrow mine.

He has the accent. Wonderfully done.