Friday, January 18, 2008

Right-Handed Post (Shhh, Don't Tell My Left Hand)

(For you who watch Family Guy, the following is best read in a voice imitating Tricia Takanawa.) In an effort to select a verse from the Holy Scriptures to follow to the letter, I am typing this post with only my right hand. According to the NASB, in Matthew 6:33 we read "...do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing." I know it seems like a simple command, but it's actually one of the more difficult ones in the entire Word of God! The whole time I've been striking the keys, my left hand has attempted to escape from my pants pocket where I've coaxed it to find my car keys. In fact, and here's the ruse, I secretly reached into that pocket with my right hand while my left was scratching my ear earlier today, and removed the keys to a distant location. But now, the left hand seems to be catching onto the trickery, and I'm having a difficult time keeping him in there. With that being said, I'll hurry and finish this little experiment, but before I do, allow me to link you to my inspiration for following the Bible to the letter, out of context, in a completely self-serving, seemingly pious way. Let me know what you think, and what other verses come to mind as doable in this vein. Click here to be inspired...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely. At first I thought you had gotten a new tattoo in line with my earlier recommendation.

This reminds me of The Year of Living Biblically, a book which I began but quickly grew bored with. It was a funny idea for a book, just not funny enough to justify that many pages.

jwfrog said...

It's just absurd to me that the stuff generates press without someone saying that it's complete rubbish. I mean, seriously, who could be so idiotic to think of taking those words so literally? Then again, what's all that mess about Isaiah walking around naked for a few years? And lying on his side for a long spell? And wasn't there something about "dung" in all that? Oh well, I've got a few oddities of my own, so I'll attempt to be tolerant, I guess...