Friday, June 01, 2007

Karlgaard: Does Science Destroy God?

Rich Karlgaard blogged recently about the attempt of Presbyterian pastor John Ortberg to debunk the theories of Christopher Hitchens & Richard Dawkins, and the whole faith-as-poison viewpoint. I snickered at this statement supposed to offer credence to Rev. Ortberg, "Professors, scientists, engineers and venture capitalists go to Ortberg's church." I'm assuming if he'd said restaurant workers, janitors, bus drivers & beggers we'd not be nearly as impressed by the man's sermons. Don't get me wrong, I love reading Rich Karlgaard, and perhaps I'm just overreacting, but I didn't care much for the description of Ortberg's parishioners as noteworthy in the debate. Still, it's my first listen to Ortberg (hell, it's the first sermon I've heard in months) and I'm not quite convinced he's right. Give it a listen via the link on the Digital Rules page after reading Karlgaard's take. Dive in here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the mention of "professors, scientists, engineers and venture capitalists" was quite silly. What about accountants?

So what aren't you buying about Ortberg's sermon?