Thursday, April 12, 2007

Borat

Well, I finally did it. I gave in and watched this insane film some friends had recommended entitled Borat: Cultural Learnings of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Kazakhstan I don't know that I'll rate it as one of the funniest movies I've ever watched, but it certainly has it's moments. Two such moments I've found on youtube, and included them here:

1.) The opening plus some deleted scenes. Check out the clip at 4:09 into it to see the deleted scene of Borat in the grocery store being introduced to Cheese. Click here.

2.) The part of the movie where Borat meets "Mr. Jesus" at a Pentecostal church service, and speaks in tongues. Click here.

I've read where Sacha Baron Cohen got sued because of the frat boys scene, which is what provided the final motivation to watch the thing in the first place. I just had to see what the fuss was about.

*****UPDATE*****
Click here for a United Pentecostal Church International take on the comedic intentions of Sacha Baron Cohen in their church service.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was almost too painful to watch. What struck me as most curious was the UPC response you linked. The person expected the evangelist to know (through the discerning of spirits) Cohen was a comedian there to make fun of them? I've heard other Pentecostals make similar comments about other situations. It has always struck me as completely ridiculous, even given the belief in the gift of discernment. I would be really worried if God started whispering into my ear telling me about everyone who is lying to me or trying to play a trick on me. We have a name for that.

jwfrog said...

Yeah, I found that part quite disturbing. Curious is a good word, BUT, put yourself back in that frame of mind, and what other response is there? Tricked by the devil? I don't feel the least bit sorry for them, because they're the ones who claim God talks to them about everything in their lives. If they're gonna claim stuff like that, then they need to be men and women enough to at least respond with an "I really missed it" this time, instead of pushing the blame off on someone else. But, on all else I'm in agreement with you.