Friday, August 08, 2008

Steven Curtis Chapman on Larry King Live


Wow. I'll let the program speak for itself, and not comment too much about the details, but I do want to make a quick mention of how much of an impact the interview of Steven Curtis Chapman (with friends, we affectionately refer to him as SCC, said "S C squared") and his family by Larry King made on me. My first, and foundational, thought is that the Chapman's illustrated for anyone who cares to know what a true Christian family is like. That's just my opinion, and I know there will be dissent with that appraisal, but nonetheless, I believe they are genuine, and "have it right". SCC's music has been a wellspring of inspiration for me for a number of years, and I owe to him and his songwriting a great deal of gratitude for spiritual guidance, affirmation and blessing. You owe it to yourself to watch the show, and to share in the grief of a family over a lost child, and the grace of God that is bigger even than that. In parting, I'm leaving a list of my fav 5 SCC songs:


5. Dive
4. Lord of the Dance
3. For the Sake of the Call
2. Live Out Loud
1. See the Glory

As of right now, you can watch a part of the interview here. I'm sure in the coming days (or perhaps even now somewhere), you can watch it in it's entirety.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just watched the whole thing on YouTube. Incredibly moving. I'm glad you mentioned this because I hadn't heard anything about it. Thanks.

jwfrog said...

Hey, you're welcome, main man. Thanks for the YouTube link, too. Now you just need to list your fav SCC songs so I can compare! Peace...

Richard L. Robertson said...

I'll get back with yu on my top 5, but I also love the Chapman's and their contributions to the music world.

jwfrog said...

You do that, RLR. They have contributed much to the music world, for sure. The lyrics are real...I feel like I'm livin' "Signs of Life" right now, with all the "bats and balls all over my yard". His stuff is celebration of living. Holla!

Richard L. Robertson said...

Here is the top 5

1. Dive
2. God is God
3. Live out Loud
4. Cinderella
5. God Follower

Honorable Mention
Only Getting Started.

Hey do you remember " I am Cece and I am alone in His presence."

That was good stuff. RLR

jwfrog said...

The CeCe comment brought quite a laugh, man. Yeah, I remember that. It used to happen in the trailer days and scare the devil outta me (or into me, I can't tell which). Good list. Cinderella is good, but since I don't have a daughter it's prob not the same as for you and Jabel. On that album, though, is a song called "Proud" about a son playing baseball. You heard that one? One of the best testimonies I ever heard in church was your dad talking about the time you playing catcher and getting beat up especially bad with foul tips and such, and how as a dad he wanted to take you out and give you some relief, but as a coach he needed you behind the plate. I watched Boston play catcher an entire game this summer, blazing hot, close, important game, and saw how exhausted he was, covered with sweat and dirt, banged up from wild pitches and plays at the plate, and not once making a complaint. I guess him and you both got that special "tough" gene that is required to good back there. BTW: what was that song SCC sang with DC Talk, trying to be a rapper, gettin a haircut, etc?

Anonymous said...

I forgot to include my top 5. It's really difficult, actually. Most of the songs are from the Declaration album, which it was so important to me for quite a while. Speechless would be a close second for favorite album. Anyway:

1. Live Out Loud
2. Jesus is Life
3. Bring It On
4. The Walk - if for no other reason than that awesome hook
5. Dive

jwfrog said...

"Do justly...love mercy...walk humbly with your God". That is brilliant use of Scripture, for real. Great five. Declaration and Speechless were masterpiece albums. Amen.