Monday, February 11, 2008

Yellowcard: Paper Walls

This is strictly an album plug, without much in addition. I usually find bands going down-hill after a stellar first album or two, but in the case of Yellowcard, they've trampled that view with this their latest album, Paper Walls. Wow!

The first five songs are absolutely remarkable, in my opinion, with the remaining songs only slightly below that level. The album opens with The Takedown, and the opening line of the chorus is haunting:

"Don't turn your back on me now, you can't do this..."

The second track is Fighting, and since the first or second spin my youngest son, Britain, has frequently been found around the house singing it unashamedly:


"What am I fighting for? There must be something more..."

I could go on and on...what a great production.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I tried listening to them at 8AM. Hmmm. Perhaps they are more of an 8PM band.

jwfrog said...

Um, yeah...I think one would need to be more fully awake in order to better appreciate their offerings. I'm not much of a morning person. At all. However, I do usually listen to The Beat (Sirius Radio's upbeat dance channel) on my way to work, and for some reason it doesn't bother me. I keep it down kinda low, which is a bit strange, but hey, it works for me. Yeah, give these guys a try sometime in normal hours. You may wanna start with the Ocean Avenue album...it's the one that really broke them. This one is dynamic, but you need to experience where they came from. Peace...