Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History Of Four Meals

Like a Sunday afternoon drive in late Spring with windows down, radio on, and absolutely no place to be. That's how I felt after finishing the remarkable book The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, last night at 10:32 p.m. Here is an absolutely pleasant, entertaining read. That I would post about it wasn't even an issue, but now that the time has come I'm perplexed about what to say. My purpose is not to review the book, per se, for that's done admirably by a host of other more talented writers. As a matter of fact, it was a line by Pamela Kaufman, editor of Food & Wine Magazine, that proved to be the final motivator in getting me to get out and pick up a copy. Her spiel is the first under the heading "Editorial Reviews" at the book's Amazon.com page, and after deftly offering a bird's-eye-view of the book she makes this simple statement: "This may sound earnest, but Pollan isn't preachy...". Pollan's research, tactics & involvement with his subject matter and sources are earnest, intense even, but after wrapping up I would have to echo the sentiment of his ability to write without seeming "preachy". As a matter of fact, thinking back on the last two weeks of poring over the pages, I don't recall a single time feeling like he was even remotely telling me what to do with my food. No, he just masterfully has taught me to consider more deeply what exactly it is I'm eating, and where it comes from. As Jabel so wisely quoted in his review of the NYT article written by Pollan "Unhappy Meals", the author suggests that we "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan is a skilled researcher, a talented writer, & seems to be as humorous as he is erudite. I'm definitely adding his works to my "must read" category.

No comments: