Monday, October 24, 2005

Schiller's "Letters Upon The Aesthetic Education Of Man"

Some years ago I began a volume-by-volume journey through The Harvard Classics. I'm currently in Volume 32, Literary And Philosophical Essays, and nearing the end of this book is the work by J.C. Friedrich Von Schiller that I've referenced in my title, Letters Upon The Aesthetic Education of Man. I completed this section of the book in the wee hours of Sunday morn, and thought I'd record a few of the more noteworthy quotes I was fortunate enough to read, and perhaps add a passing comment or so.

"...a soul that takes pleasure in appearance does not take pleasure in what it receives but in what it makes."
From personal grooming, to fashion sense, to physical fitness, the message here seems to me to be quite matter-of-fact. The baseline truth is that if we put forth an effort in projecting as healthy and attractive appearance as we may, we'll get pleasure in the compliments we receive, but even more from the personal satisfaction with what we've accomplished.

"...the skilfully worked scabbard will not attract less attention than the homicidal edge of the sword."
Image is everything...dress for success...you never get a second chance to make a first impression...the list seems endless when it comes to the importance of our appearance in certain situations. To the above quote I'd simply proffer that no matter how cutting-edge your talent may be, if your sharpness is sheathed in ugliness, you may never get the chance to divide and conquer!

"...pleasure may be stolen, but love must be a gift."
From the most horrific rapist to the ineffective would-be romantic, may this truth reach the depths of the soul. To add to this aphorism would seem to me a most irreverent act, so I'll silently exit and allow the hush of its profundity to wash over the gentle reader...

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Re quote 2 - I feel sorry for the poor saps who believe utility trumps beauty. The merely useful gives no pleasure.