Friday, October 21, 2005

Music Log 10-21-05

Music is a daily trip into an enchanted forest which, if I navigate the right paths, provides just the funk I need to traverse the highways and by-ways of life. Today has been another day in which I meandered down several different paths, and at the close of it all I'm looking back on my choices with much satisfaction.

I started late last night with System Of A Down shuffled on my DJ and continued through the morning and afternoon thus. The phrenetic pace and apparent thoughtless lyrics served my mood quite well. From Jet Pilot and its' insane line "Wired were the eyes of a horse on a jet pilot, one that smiled when he flew over the bay...", to the snicker near the end of DDevil, and on through the thought provoking Aerials, the progression of the varying tunes and truths is fascinating. I'll admit, SOAD isn't for the faint of heart, but for those willing to "lose small mind" it's a journey well worth taking.

Midway through the day I launched my first Christmas tunes of the year for some pre-season warm-ups. (Hey, they have pre-season in the NBA, NFL, MLB and even pre-K for 4-5 year olds headin' to big kids' school, so why not one for Christmas?) I usually start on October 1, so I'm a bit behind this year, but I can't say I've missed it. That's not to say I like Christmas music less, it's just that I've had other things to entertain me, like the Howie Day album Stop All The World Now. Damn! That's a real treat to listen to, and is soul-gripping at times.

I got to drive a bit with my yahoo's and we jammed a bit to Avalon's eponymous 1st album, on which my oldest son, Boston, digs Give It Up. I hadn't heard this one for a while (I've listened to some of their newer stuff recently, but not this one) so I enjoyed revisiting a staple from days gone by. This Love was the first song of theirs I remember hearing, and the record The Greatest Story is a terrific one to say the least.

But as I've started wrapping up my day in my mobile office (location top secret), I've been soothed by channel 60 on Sirius Satellite Radio. Its name is New Country and used to be number 31 (which sounds a lot sexier than 60, but I digress), and lives up to that moniker. As I type this I'm hearing Keith Urban sing You'll Think Of Me and am about ready to get the boots out of the closet. Okay, I don't have any boots, or a big belt buckle, or a four-wheel drive truck, but I do like KU anyway. I've been serenaded by Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, Rascal Flatts and others, and my day is now complete.

Well, that does it for today's musical gallivanting so I'll fade out with my revelling for now... Peace.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Ack! Christmas music.

jwfrog said...

"The Grinch hated Christmas!
The whole Christmas season! (of which, Christmas music is inseparable.)

Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason. (You are a bit hard to figure out in this respect, Jabel.)

It could be that his head wasn't screwed on quite right. (No further commentary needed.)

It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were to tight. (From being crammed in your mouth so often...)

But I think that the most likely reason of all

May have been that his heart was two sizes too small." (You need some love, dude! Otherwise we'll knight you, and proclaim you Sir Jabel de Smallheart...)