Thursday, September 27, 2007

Michigan

I recently read an article by Rich Karlgaard (of the Digital Rules Blog on the Frogroll) called Tackling the Michigan Problem. It is a well-written piece likening the woes of the Michigan Wolverines football team to the dire economic issues of that state. Evidently it is quite an important issue, and one source pointed out that the loss of jobs streak the state is currently experiencing is the longest sense the Great Depression. In an apparent attempt to stop the employment hemorrhage and consequent financial drain, there is a commercial I've seen on CNN urging corporations to consider relocating there. From what I've read in Forbes and elsewhere, they may need to address some taxation matters first. Nonetheless, I didn't really create this post to start a dialog concerning the socioeconomic crisis in the state to our north, but rather I wanted to briefly express, again, my fascination with the writing of Karlgaard. We all have our favorite writers, whether it be fiction or newspaper journalism. I'm becoming aware more and more that it's probably best to latch on to a few that we can "get", and not spend so much time scouring the vast amount of contributors out there. It's a matter of time. Sure, I still believe it's good to read widely, and I'll continue doing so as long as I can, but I believe it's unnecessary to work my way through an article or book that doesn't interest, or more than that, intrigue, me. Do you have any suggestions for managing the worlds reading material? I'd love to hear about it if so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree that our reading should be enjoyable, not dutiful. I still have to tell myself that it is okay to not finish a book that bores me, or to not read at all a book others enthusiastically recommend. I believe we ought to balance depth and breadth in our learning and reading. Too deep and you miss the wider world; too broad and you never learn anything well. Pick a few favorite writers and learn their work well. Then make sure you read something about everything that interests you. Balance, Froggy-san, balance.

jwfrog said...

Well said, main man. I'll try to implement your formula and learn the wide world well!