Wednesday, September 12, 2007

3:10 To Yuma

I watched the new film 3:10 To Yuma and I was quite impressed. It's been a minute since I've seen a good western themed movie, and I'd say it was worth the wait. Some fav's of the past in this wild-west genre were the Young Guns franchise, Tombstone, and Open Range. I'll not play spoiler, but right up until the frenetic final scene, this was going to replace The Bourne Ultimatum as my fav of the year so far, but thanks to a bit of confusion and a tinge of I-wish-they-hadn't-itus I'm gonna leave this one in second place. The acting was impeccable across the board, and on that note I'm totally sold on Russell Crowe. Damn, he's good. Christian Bale was certainly terrific at his part, too, but I'm relegating him to third fav on this one and giving the 2nd slot to Ben Foster who played Crowe's right-hand-man to perfection. I swear I walked outta the theater bow-legged and whistlin' for my horse. Now where the hell'd I leave my boots....

PS-I forgot to mention it, but I watched another recent release last week, called War. It's worth the $8 to go see, and is def in my top five for the year so far.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have high hopes for this one. Thanks for the review.

The Burnette Family said...

My brother, Justin, quoted Tombstone for years. I hear "I'm your Huckleberry" in my sleep.
I love the new Westerns, and I can't wait to see this one.

jwfrog said...

J: I'm pretty sure you'll like it, so your hopes won't be dashed.
A: Val Kilmer was quite convincing in that one, huh? I'm thinking the new Jesse James flick will be good, too.