Thursday, August 10, 2006

V For Vendetta

I picked up the film V For Vendetta this week, and I feel I must do my part to spread the word...this is an awesome film. Click here for the IMDb page. Finally, a movie with outstanding dialogue, plenty of action and very interesting story line! To whet the appetite, here are some cool quotes from the flick:

*After V rescues Evey, she makes the required inquiry into the identification of her hero...
Evey: Who are you?
V: Who? Who is but the form following the function of "what", and what I am is a man in a mask.
Evey: Well I can see that.
V: Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.
Evey: Oh...right.
V: But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace soubriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona.


*Then, as V furthers his introduction to Evey)...
"VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-a-vis an introduction, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."

*After Creedy threatens V...
Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

*Of course, the brilliant poetic piece of the film...
Remember, RememberThe fifth of November,
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

*From the explosive final confrontation with the evil Creedy...
Creedy: Defiant until the end, huh? You won't cry like him, will you? You're not afraid of death. You're like me.
V: The only thing you and I have in common, Mr. Creedy, is that we are both about to die.
Creedy: How do you imagine that'll happen?
V: With my hands around your neck.
Creedy: Bollocks. We've swept this whole place. You've got nothing. Nothing but your bloody knives and your fancy karate gimmicks. We have guns.
V: No. What you have are bullets and the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing, because if I am, you'll all be dead before you've reloaded.
Creedy: That's impossible. Kill him!
(At this point Creedy's men open up a barrage of bullets upon V, who though hit many times remains standing, then offers...)
V: My turn.

Awesome to say the least...I will watch again and spread the revolution!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK. You have me interested. Though this will probably have to be a Saturday morning movie while Rachel and Darcy are still in bed. She's totally uninterested.

And when I said I heard it had an anti-war message, I didn't mean that was necessarily a bad thing.