Friday, October 19, 2007

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

I watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford last night. My earlier reflections on 3:10 To Yuma revealed a fascination with western-style films, and now I can add another one to my favorites of the genre. Although lacking in action, the dialog and imagery were fantastic. Even the sometimes cheesy, sometimes tinny soundtrack was exceptional, fitting in with the scenes seamlessly, like the comfortable, though silent, accompaniment of a dog on a walk. The most phenomenal part of the movie for me, though, was the character and acting of Casey Affleck. Wow, what a performance! That he was playing a difficult role is an understatement, and though he was asked to nail it in the shadow of one of Hollywood's biggest names, Brad Pitt, he pulled it off swimmingly. The lingering effect of the story and the remembrance of scene after stellar scene fresh in my mind has created a melancholy pleasantness for me today. The weather today perfectly fits the mood; overcast, chilly, breezy, glum. But alas, I must not overlook the quality of the lead character's portrayal of a neurotic, confused, slightly stupid Jesse James. Brad Pitt played his part without a hitch. I suppose the only reason I'm gushing over Affleck is that it came as a surprise to me. But Brad Pitt, who I expected to do well, sold me once again on his ability. I don't know that it's his best, but I think I can safely say this is my favorite role for him. Bouncing back to Affleck for a second, the one disturbing (if that's not overstated) factor is that I can't imagine him ever being in a movie again. It's as if when the movie ended his acting, and his character, faded to black. I don't mean this in a negative sense, just that he carried it out with such perfection the two, the historical figure and the modern-day reteller, became one. Casey Affleck will certainly emerge on the big screen again, but I'll forever see him in a slightly tattered derby.

No comments: