Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Prodigal Daughtry


I wish to look at three matters: 1) the secular beauty of the Prodigal Son story, 2) the spiritual beauty of Daughtry’s Home, & 3) the staggering beauty of the song & scripture together.


1. The Secular Beauty of the Prodigal Son parable.

Click here for the KJV version of the story. With such a heavy "churchy" background, I've not until recently considered this parable outside of it's perceived intent of illustrating a backslider's return to the the Faith. While vacationing with my two sons over Spring Break this year, however, I was struck with the similarities I currently, and could, share with the Prodigals father. I began thinking about the story as just a secular account of a father with two boys, one of which decides to leave home. I began to imagine how this father, much like me, loved each of his sons individually as much as he did both of them together. My sons have different personalities, mannerisms, likes & dislikes, etc., all mixed in with the many things they share. I love them both, neither more than the other, and tell them each at certain times ("you're my favorite 10 year old boy on the planet" to Boston & "you're my favorite 8 year old boy in the world" to Britain). I make an attempt to look them in the eyes and tell them daily that I love them, and that together they make up my favorite people in all the universe. It seems the prodigal's father felt the same way, even when things changed for them. A lot of things have been added to the story, gaps filled in and what not, but in just looking at what we know, the youngest son left home after getting his inheritance, and proceeded to "waste" it on a lifestyle of excess. As I glanced over some of these things I began to question how I would feel if one or both of my boys decide in the future to not spend so much time with me, and instead began to live in a way that I would perceive to be injurious to them, physically, emotionally, etc. I need not cite examples, I think the imagination is enough to paint a picture of what I'm after, so just think of the things that might make you worry about your own kids. Would I be judgmental, and hateful to them? Would I be deeply saddened and overcome with grief? Would I try to counsel them each time I saw them that they need to change their ways? Would I tell other people how much I wish they were different? I'm not sure, and I don't think I'm fully ready to answer those things until, or if, they happen. What I am certain of is the fact that I want to cultivate in me what most certainly was in the heart of this father. I noticed when the son came home, there were recorded no remarks of judgment from him. There were no "you should have listened to me" comments, or any "I'm glad you finally came to your senses" lines, only a father's happiness that his son who was gone, now was home. That's it. If my sons get involved in hurtful, potentially damaging activities, I think it's my duty to help steer them in a more life-enhancing direction, but I also think there's a time and a place for that, and in the chronology of it all that instruction should probably come after they are convinced my love for them is still the same. And then I thought to myself, if this is the case for the "big sins" they may get into, then why shouldn't it apply to all errors in judgment, regardless of size. My boys get grouchy sometimes, and they whine, and they don't wanna do the things they need to keep a balance. As soon as I see these things, what is most important? To teach them, or to love them? It's a tough call, because I know kids need instruction from time to time, but it is becoming more and more apparant to me that what I want to give to them more than anything is my love, my understanding, my compassion, my admiration, and communicate my utter sense of joy that they're alive. It's just some of the thoughts I had jotted down here a bit loosely, but I think as a summary I just want to express the attitude of the prodigal's father is a great benchmark for our kids' transgressions.


2. The Spiritual Beauty of Daughtry's Home

Click here for the lyrics to this fascinating song, and here for the video. I'm not certain of my amount of belief right now (read previous posts Why Believe? & The God Delusion), but one thing I recall from more involved "churchier" days how beautiful it was to see a life wrecked by sin and vice repent and "make it right" by turning his life around. It was good to see a man return home who had allowed drugs & alcohol drive him from his family and kids. It was beautiful to see a woman rejoin her companion after falling prey to a profligate lifestyle that left her with a bruised heart and empty soul. Perhaps it's memories like these that immediately struck me when I began hearing this song a while back and related it to spiritual matters. Home is a grand picture of an epic spiritual journey back from degradation and despair to dignity and delight. When it begins with "I'm staring out into the night, Trying to hide the pain", I can almost see the wayward soul searching through the fog of intoxication (whatever the source) for a sense of meaning and purpose amidst their regrets. In the line "I'm going to the place where love And feeling good don't ever cost a thing", I imagine how much of a blessing it is to realize there's someone (we could capitalize this) who loves us for who we are, and not for what we can contribute to them. That's one of the most amazing pictures of Deity I can fathom. In the chorus I like the line "home...where your love has always been enough for me". Doesn't that seem like a contradiction? I mean, if the love was enough, why would one leave in the first place? Therein is a most splendid picture of what causes waywardness to begin with...discontent. So many live with a restlessness, a sense of appreciating what I have, knowing it's magnificent, but wondering if perhaps there's something else out there. It takes a lot of maturity to realize that sometimes the risk involved in trying to answer the "is their more out there" question is not worth it, for there are some things indeed that are "once lost, never regained". If what you have is enough, by all means protect it and cherish it, and certainly be very careful not to risk losing it for a phantasm. A little later the song says "I don't know why. You always seem to give me another try." Once again, if I were seeking a portrait of a Divine, this would be a spectacular brushstroke. Grace and mercy are two very pleasant concomitants of a spiritual transformation. Then later still we hear a most profound admonition: "Be careful what you wish for, 'Cause you just might get it all...And then some you don't want." Wow, true indeed. My line of thinking here is like the story of Faust. With the desire for wine, women & song comes the risk of going too far and suffering from the various maladies associated with excess in these things (for song, just think partying, etc.) Here the lesson is simply stated in the first two words "be careful", nothing more needs to be added (for or by me) concerning our choice of desires. Finally, I like the part "these places and these faces are getting old, So I'm going home". I wonder how many would rise above the squalid environ their in if they only knew they could? I read a book a long time ago called Twice-Born Men by Harold Begbie (read it here, if you wanna) in which a host of conversions were portrayed. I remember it warming my heart. It depicted many lives made low by vice brought up to respectability through religious awakening. That makes an attractive story, huh?


3. The Staggering Beauty of The Song & Scripture Together

With these two preceding thoughts in view, is it not apparant how marvelous an illustration of the Prodigal Son can be found in Home? It's almost a ready made movie! We have the script and the soundtrack already provided. If you're in the mood, enter the little cinema-for-one in your mind, read the parable, play the song, and see what images you can witness...

No comments: