Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Proposing An E-Food Pyramid In The Fight Against Cultural Obesity

Perhaps it's just that I was ripe to be taken with an article such as this, seeing I'd just spent half an hour trying to find justification for an opinion I've been carrying around. No, that's not a long time, but in the time frame of electronic information it's a veritable eternity! Furthermore, it's not that I didn't find my opinion justified, it's just that the opposing viewpoints themselves were so carefully calculated, and well-written, that I almost thought about giving up. Actually, I did. And at the end of these eons of e-time I've wound up right back where I started: uncertain whether or not I should keep my opinion.

Now, I've kept the subject of my perplexity secret for a reason, namely that it's immaterial. Tomorrow will bring another dilemma, and I'll be careening across the web searching for information on some other, completely unrelated, topic. But I digress. The point of it all is this. In searching for answers, it's nigh unto impossible to sift through the information available and come to any degree of satisfaction or conclusion on just about anything these days. I mean, seriously, with millions of opinions at my fingertips, all with slight variations that may or may not be comparable to my situation, how am I to choose? At random, as in select only 10 articles and go with the majority? Perhaps I can consult only the trusted advisers, but then I limit myself and wonder if Mr. Unheard Of over in Topeka might just have a nice little say on the matter that would make matters perfectly clear for me. Who's to say.

This all came about with a quick scan of one of my favorite places on the Internet, Arts & Letters Daily. It's never let down, but, once again, has caused my mind to whirl at a breakneck speed, ready to explode at any moment. The article I read was a book review about cultural obesity. Check it out, and leave me a comment if you want. If no comment seems appropriate, I understand. But, you owe it to yourself to at least let the matter be presented to you. Cheers...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allow me to simplify things for you: ask me your questions and I will always give you the correct answers. If more people would do this the world's problems would be solved in short order.

jwfrog said...

Wow, I'm thinkin' this could be a huge idea. You could tout yourself as the Guy With The Answers (Esquire has The Answer Fella...) and you could charge a nominal monthly fee to answer all questions, regardless of the subject matter. Our responsibility for serious research would be over, and I wouldn't even have to think about my problems. Just send 'em to you, wait a while, and act on your suggestions. To quote to spooky t.v. personality on RoboCop: "I'd Buy That For A Dollar..."