Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Bible Thumpers Beware, We're On To You

It just doesn't cut it for believers who hold the Bible as inerrant and infallible to claim that it's God-breathed, and anyone who suggests otherwise is just a tool of Satan. I think it's about time for a little proof from them. I read this today, and although I've not read the book being reviewed, I might just add it to the list. For years and years I've been told that the important thing when it comes to holy writ is to just trust the "internal evidence" of its Divine inspiration. Namely such verses as "all scripture is given by inspiration of God", among others, that are supposed to make us just step back and say "oh, well that explains it...okay, it's The Word of God, then!". No, I'm afraid that's not good enough.

Not directly related, but similar in thought is a matter that crossed my mind just yesterday. I was driving up the highway (north, thus not down) and I saw a rainbow. I, as I frequently do, recalled the biblical story in which we're told that a rainbow is a "promise" of God not to ever flood the earth again like he did in Noah's day. Now, I was just thinking to myself a big hmmmmm: if God can put together some colors and we're just supposed to know that it means the rain will only last so long, why couldn't He (or She) just spell it out in the sky in words that we can read? I mean, if He (She) is all into communicating via the ethereal parchment, why not go all out and make it real plain and clear? Seriously, if guys can write words in airplanes with smoke coming out the ass end, surely God can spell out a sentence or two that's a little clearer than a half circle of various colors! I don't mean to sound blasphemous (perhaps), but I'm just a bit peeved at how idiotic we can get sometime when religion is concerned. It's Dawkins' undue respect all over again.

Finally amidst the jumbled debris of this post I want to reference the article linked to above and its' reference to snake handlers. I came across this book last week and upon glancing through a few pages was entranced. For one, I've actually (hate to admit it) been in the church in Austin, IN, pictured in this book. They didn't handle any slithering critters when I was there, and for that I'm glad. I also recognized a few of the other towns in eastern Kentucky referenced in the book, having been to them on Gods business in years past. I was interested to note that (and I'm totally paraphrasing) the author suggests that this snake-handling/Pentecostal phenomenon is the result of people turning away from the intellectual approach of the eastern seaboard preachers and embracing a more emotion-driven worship pattern. This then created the rising up of lay preachers among them, and the rest is history...it spread like wildfire. No wonder there is such an aversion to asking questions and actually trying to think things through among so many of them even today...

Finally, part 2, I am reading another Bill Bryson book. This time it's The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America. This guy is quickly becoming one of my favorite light reading authors. A page or a chapter at a time, it doesn't seem to matter as he's always, and I mean ALWAYS, got something hilariously "OMG!" to say. I'm gonna ask for his books for Christmas...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that it's far past time to shift the burden of proof when it comes to things unseen, and to "God's Holy Word." However, the argument always comes back, 'well, there's just no use in trying to prove anything, because if you don't believe, then you won't be convinced by my arguments.' Perhaps that's because there is no proof!

Anonymous said...

A short response to a couple of your points:

1. There are many theories of inspiration, only one of which is the fundamentalist version that the Bible is inerrant in every statement. Most Christians, including me, do not subscribe to that theory. ("Most" may seem like a kind of unbelievable statement, but you must take into account Christians of every communion all over the world. Just because the fundies get the most attention does not mean they represent most Christians.) Be sure that when you react against "Bible-thumpers" you know who you are reacting against, i.e., Biblical literalists, not all Christians.

2. As for God providing more evidence you might be interested in my reply to Andy when he asked basically the same question.

jwfrog said...

Well, my reaction was def aimed at the literalists, for sure, and not all Christians. I recognize that there are as many different viewpoints as one can imagine when it comes to Christianity and the Bible. I've noticed, though, that it's not just the fundie groups like what we came out of that point to holy writ as God's vehicle for speaking to his people. I just think the majority do it blindly, and haven't considered the facts concerning the way the Bible came to be. This is a perplexing subject to me, so be sure to bring it up Saturday so we can discuss it live and in person...

Unknown said...

Hey. Cool blog. I'm an avid tennis player too. Check out my Indiana Hoosiers sports blog at:

http://anythinghoosier.blogspot.com

Go Hoosiers!

Unknown said...

I meant that he'll be an elite player and he has the ability to be a strong draft choice. IU's players have traditionally been pretty weak, but I think some NFL teams will miss out on him and skip him just because he went to IU. Of course, we haven't been all that weak when were the ones that produced Antwaan Randall El. Recruiting is getting steadily stronger, and if the Hoosiers can have a good, solid year with some meaningful Big Ten wins, the program should be in good shape.

Thanks for reading. You've got a nice blog.