Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Enough Of The %$*& Nonsense Already!

Okay, first off I need to say that this is not a vote of support for Don Imus. Perhaps I'm just not enough in-the-know when it comes to radio personalities not named Limbaugh or Stern (and I don't listen to either of them), but I don't recall ever hearing of this guy prior to the events I'm writing about today.

Last week Mr. Imus made some comments that really have pissed off a boatload of people. He called the basketball players from Rutgers women's team "nappy-headed hos". He's since offered to meet the team and offer another apology. In reference to this meeting, one of the players, Matee Ajavon said: "“I could say that we honestly don’t know what to expect from Don Imus and what we will plan on asking him is his reasons and how you could just say things that you have not put any thought to? Right now I can’t really say if we have come to a conclusion of whether we will accept the apology. What I can say I think this meeting will be crucial for us, the state of New Jersey and everybody representing us.” (Read the article here.) First of all, Matee, I should point out that these were comments made during an (apparantly) unscripted interview, in which case it's quite common to say things you haven't put a lot of thought into. Secondly, Matee, who among us says things we've completely thought out 100% of the time? I'd venture to say it's mighty close to none of us. From time to time we say things off the top of our head without thinking much about it. Does that make hurtful things excusable? No, of course not, just like it doesn't mean every cotton pickin' thing said is right. Sometimes we say hurtful, and incorrect things. So what? It's a part of our rights contained in the 1st Amendment..."freedom of speech".

Now, my biggest question is this: why is Don Imus being given such a hard time while, say 50 Cent & Snoop Dogg who "never hesitate to shoot a ho", Chingy who asks "got his money ho?", & Ludacris who proclaims "youza ho" on his hit song, "Ho", are selling records like there's no tomorrow, all the while offering up "ho's" and "nigga's" on nearly every track?

In all honesty, I (a white male), would pay money to hear any of these artists (all black men) sing, and I own albums by each and every one of them; and, it bears repeating, I don't listen to Don Imus (a white male) at all. But, is it okay for some to say "ho" while others should be castigated? Don't mind me, I'm just rapping out loud...

*****UPDATES*****
(Added 4-17-07)
Here's an interesting article from ESPN.com's Page 2, entitled Imus shouldn't give hip-hop a bad rap. Perhaps I've been corrected...

(Added 4-24-07)
I've been posting a lot lately from Scott Adams, but in his most recent Dilbert Blog post he offered an interesting take on the highlights of this story. I have to agree with him...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, the guy may have a point. I'm glad you updated the post with that link.

jwfrog said...

Yeah, I liked several points he made, especially the rap artists as actors rather than participants in the hip-hop scene opinion. The "slippery slope" idea concerning censorship struck a chord with me as well. Plus, it seemed to be just a well-written, unbiased piece of journalism... which on the topic of the Imus fiasco has been rare, at least as far as I can see.